Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Musicians Beware

Musicians beware of the music monster that lurks in ours souls. I remember when Barren Cross was in the beginning stages. We were on our way, playing concerts, recording demos. Enigma records became interested in signing the band. That was great, but it took nine months to finally finish the deal. During that time another band that was at the same level as Barren Cross signed with there record label and had made there first record and was touring. I was so jealous of them. I cried out to God, " How could you do this to me" bring me all this way just to leave me. That music monster was raging in me. In the end it all worked out and God had to deal with my foolish pride. Music is a hard thing to deal with if you are a musician. It takes some skill to kill the monster. I call that monster the spirit of the musician. When I chose musicians to come over seas to do worship with me the first thing that I look for is, does this person have that monster in check. If you are a musician today and that monster rages in you, repent and humble yourself. Begin praying for other musicians, that God will bless them.

That's all I have to say bout that

Jim

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I know exactly what it means to be under the influence of the 'Music Monster'. I let my attitudes (the bad ones) grow until I had turned into a selfish, arrogant SOB pushing my way through the music world. God let me go for a while and then kindly (actually, he put the divine boot to my backside) made me take a good look at myself. The only answer (for me) was to get away from the industry totally. My own pride screamed, (and still does from time to time), but my priorities are leveling out and I no longer put 'the music' ahead of my first ministry, 'my family'. It was (and still is at times) a hard lesson to learn.

It gets hard especially when I think often of all the fun we had at the church in Mt. Juliet, the great times (musically) at TBN and the friendship we shared while scraping paint and washing windows all over Nashville.

We'll, great. Now I'm getting all sentimental. I think I'll go drink a tall glass of 'Shut the H@ll up' and go eat some 'king cake.

Your brother in Christ,
Aaron Mashburn

ericnt said...

Hey Jim. We have never met before, but my name is Eric Nuzum and I am a worship leader from Aurora,IL. I don't know if you have heard of Integrity Hosanna music or not, but I did a CD with them a few years back called, "The Smithton Outpouring." I think it has sold around 200,000 copies or so. I think you can google it and hear some sound bytes somewhere. Since you lead worship, you may have heard one of my songs along the way:) Anyway, I am a big BC fan and my brother gave me a copy of State of Control yesterday, (my favorite by the way), man it sounded soooo goood!! Awesome!! I really related to this blog. I have been leading worship for over ten years now full time and I want to thank God for his mercy and grace. I know that we as musicians are always having to wage this war. I hope you have a successful trip overseas and I will keep you in my prayers. Perhaps someday we can meet.

Blessings Bro.
Eric